Image Map

Game Day. . .wait for it. . . .DINNER! Staring, gumbo!

02 October 2013





Well since I didn't get to make my game day snack this weekend, I figured gumbo would do! I use to make it for football weekends when people would come over. This is an awesome dish for a cool day, and is super easy to make! It takes a while to make, but still easy!

I use to look forward to my mom making us gumbo and potato salad when I was a kid! we use to mix the potato salad with the gumbo and it paired so well! We couldn't have one without the other. Even today, in my house hold, when I make gumbo, my husband demands potato salad along with it. Sounds weird, but trust me on this one! Here we go with the gumbo!! :)




Here's what you'll need. Andouille sausage (or smoked sausage) Celery, onions, bell peppers, garlic, okra, bay leaves flour, olive oil, white wine, salt, black pepper, oregano, paprika, chicken broth, Tony's Cajun seasoning,  thyme, hot sauce, and chicken breast or fryer chicken.
**NOTE: Most of my family do not use okra with their gumbo, and if they do, they don't make a roux.  However, I love okra, but only use it occasionally. Also, if you don't want to pick meat off the bones, use a boneless thighs! It works very well!! **

Start with chopping all your veggies and put them to the side.


Before you start the roux, put about 4-6 cups of chicken broth, and white wine, and seasoning in a pot and bring it to a gentle boil.

For the Roux: Use flour and olive oil. About 3/4 cup of oil and flour. Heat oil on medium high heat, and slowly add flour until its at the right consistency. Constantly stir!!! If it burns even a little, you will have to start over! Once you get the roux to bubble, drop the heat, and keep stirring. The darker the roux the darker the gumbo. Normally, for gumbo, you would get it to a nice chocolate color. However, I don't like my gumbo too dark, so I go for a dark caramel color. It all depends on your preference.


Just a little darker, and we are done!

Once the roux is done, add the vegetables to stop the cooking process of the roux. Cook vegetables and bay leaves until they are soft. Add hot sauce.


And roux and veggie mix into the pot of broth and wine. Stir well until the roux is dissolved.



Add chicken. *If you are using chicken breast, do not add until the last minute. Chicken breast cooks really fast in gumbo* Once the chicken is halfway done, add the sausage.



Once chicken is cooked *it will fall off the bone!* take the chicken out and take it off of the bone. Add chicken back in the pot. Allow the gumbo to simmer. Now would be the time to cook your rice!


Voila! Chicken and sausage gumbo!


To make the potato salad, all you need is Potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mayo, mustard, salt and black pepper.
You can boil the potatoes and eggs at the same time. Once the potatoes are done, the eggs will be done! Strain the potatoes and eggs, peel the eggs, and add them to a bowl. Add some mayo and a little bit of mustard, salt and pepper, and stir. BOOM! There's your potato salad. Super easy!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment